The February 2015 issue of Light Metal Age is now available! The digital edition has been released to subscribers and the print edition will be shipped next week.
The cover features a pot tending machine using the crust breaker during an anode
change at Qatalum.
Feature Articles include:
- Primary Aluminum Industry in the Year 2014 & Primary Aluminum Smelters of the World: Nameplate Capacities and Shutdown Capacities on a Temporary Basis, by Rudolf P. Pawlek, Contributing Editor
- Century Aluminum Expands with Acquisition of U.S. Aluminum Smelters: Making Strategic Changes to Increase Profitability, by Alton Tabereaux, Contributing Editor
- Novelis Opens the World’s Largest Recycling Center in Nachterstedt, Germany: Moving Toward a Circular Economy, by Andrea Svendsen, Managing Editor
- Ideal Aluminum Smelting – Superheat Control and Moving Towards Renewable Energy: Interview with Dr. Martin Iffert, Trimet Aluminium, by Joseph C. Benedyk, Editor
- Arabal 2014: Part I – Global Aluminum Outlook and Downstream Industry Growth in Bahrain, by Andrew Hall, Contributing Editor
- Defects Affecting Extruded Surface – Coring, by Jerome Fourmann, Rio Tinto Alcan
- AluMag Auto Lightweight Procurement Symposium: Aluminum Proves Its Worth in European Automobiles, by Joseph C. Benedyk, Editor
- The Changing Shape of the U.K. Aluminum Industry: Interview with Will Savage, ALFED
- ALUMINIUM 2014 Photo Layout: Record Attendance Reflects Record Industry Growth
- Horizontal Core-Filling Continuous Casting of Copper Clad Aluminum Conductor Materials: Properties and Applications, by Jian-Xin Xie, Xin-Hua Liu, and Hai-You Huang, Key Laboratory for Advanced Materials Processing of Ministry of Education, Institute for Advanced Materials and Technology, University of Science and Technology Beijing, and Beijing Laboratory of Metallic Materials and Processing for Modern Transportation
Editorial departments include four Spotlight articles, including:
- Magnesium Overmold Automotive Components, Leggera Technologies
- Innovation in SPL Transformation – the Industrial Ecology Way: Spent Pot Lining as a Valuable Commodity, by Phil Black, Regain Materials
- New Developments in Anode Baking, by Detlef Maiwald and Domenico Di Lisa, innovatherm
- Double-Chamber Melting Furnace Advantages, Reiter & Crippa
The issue includes the Directory of Aluminum Smelting Equipment Manufacturers & Suppliers and coverage of Primary Aluminum News, Extruder News, and Contracts & Expansions.
If you would like to receive a copy of the February issue, as well as future issues of Light Metal Age, subscribe online today!
The December 2014 issue of Light Metal Age is now available. The digital edition has been released to subscribers and the print edition will be shipped next week.
The cover features as-rolled aluminum foil produced by Hydro’s Grevenbroich rolling mill in Germany. The foil is only 15 μm thick but completely free from grease. Previously material could only be cleaned of residual rolling oil by undergoing heat treatment. Hydro announced earlier this year a sophisticated bath process whereby foil can be chemically degreased yet still retain the original degree of hardness.
Feature Articles include:
- Cosmetic Corrosion of Aluminum Automotive Closure Sheet, by Geoff Scamans, Innoval Technology
- Application of Advanced Al-Li Plate on the NASA Orion Crew Module, by Michael Niedzinski, Constellium Aerospace & Transportation
- Aluminum’s Explosive Growth into Automotive in America – Interview with Tom Boney, Aluminum Association, ATG
- Europe Continues Very Steady Growth in Automotive – Interview with Patrik Ragnarsson, European Aluminium Association, A&TG
- Nanostructured Wire Rod Research and Development in Russia, by V.Kh. Mann, A.Yu. Krokhin, and I.A. Matveeva, UC Rusal, and G.I. Raab, M.Yu. Murashkin, and R.Z. Valiev, Institute of Physics of Advanced Materials, Ufa State Aviation Technical University
- Eastern European Extruder Increases Volume to Serve Growing EU Market
- Defects Affecting Extruded Surface – Transverse Weld, by Jerome Fourmann, Rio Tinto Alcan
- The Extrusion Press Container: Thermal Stability of the Liner Not Uniformity of the Container Mantle, by Paul Robbins and Dr. Ken Chun Chien, Castool
- UMC Expands Market Scope with New Coil Coating Capacity
- First Laser-Welded Aluminum Door Blanks for Mass Production
Editorial departments include a Personality Profile on Charles K. Gillespie, who marks 50 years at Gillespie & Powers and a Book Review on the Aluminum Statistical Review for 2013, published by the Aluminum Association, as well as two Spotlight articles: “Heat Treating Furnaces for Flat Rolled Aluminum,” by Gerald Eckertsbertger, Ebner Industrieofenbau Gmbh and B.J. Austin, Ebner Furnaces, Inc. and “Secondary Containment for Aluminum Rolling Mills” about a system for secondary oil containment developed by Albarrie.
Also included is a preview of the combined Aluminium Two Thousand – ICEB 2015 congress and coverage of Flat Rolled News, Extruder News, and Contracts & Expansions.
If you would like to receive a copy of the December issue, as well as future issues of Light Metal Age, subscribe online today!