The April 2015 issue of Light Metal Age is now available! The digital edition has been released to subscribers and the print edition will be shipped next week.
On the cover: Collaboration between Litelab Corporation and Almag Aluminum of Brampton, ON, Canada, yielded this highly engineered heatsink for a high-powered LED. Designed to handle thermal loads over 40 W without forced convection, this fixture is capable of producing 5,000 lumens. The complex extrusion shown in both clear and black anodized utilizes a tailored alloy, serrated cooling fins, and enhanced geometry to achieve optimal heat dissipation.
Feature Articles include:
- Sierra Aluminum Ensures Its Continuity with New Press Line, by Andrea Svendsen
- The Sutton MK-V Extrusion Press Debut: SMS Group Celebrates Sutton’s 100th Anniversary, by Joseph C. Benedyk
- Sapa R&D Propels Extrusion Innovation: New Research Lab to Open Near Detroit
- Light and Weather Fast Adsorptive Dyeing of Anodized Aluminum, by Thomas Heber
- Arabal 2014: Part II – The Aluminum Market at a Crossroads, by Andrew Hall
- Defects Affecting Extruded Surface – Longitudinal Weld, by Jerome Fourmann
- 2015 Specification for Aluminum Structures, by Randy Kissell
- How Extrusion Technology (ET) Events Drive Improvements in the Extrusion Industry, by Craig R. Werner
- Aluminum Company of Canada Awarded Historic Landmark Status
- Aluminum Extruders Reaching New Heights
Editorial departments include two Spotlight articles, including:
- HyperXtrude 2015 Brings Extrusion Simulation to the Shop Floor, Altair
- Environmentally Friendly Melt Treatment for Aluminum Smelters – The Chlorine-Free Casthouse, Hycast
The issue includes a book review on 2015 Automotive Aluminum Joining Manual, published by the Aluminum Association and coverage of Extruder News, as well as the Directory of Aluminum Extrusion Equipment Manufacturers & Suppliers.
If you would like to receive a copy of the April 2015 issue, as well as future issues of Light Metal Age, subscribe online today!
Bill Hammack from Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, details the engineering choices underlying the design of a beverage can. He explains why it is cylindrical, outlines the manufacturing steps needed to created the can, notes why the can narrows near it lid, shows close ups of the double-seam that hold the lid on, and details the complex operation of the tab that opens the can.
The Advanced Metals Initiative (AMI) Light Metals Conference 2014 was held in October 2014 in South Africa, bringing together researchers, government, and industry players for a Bushveld Lekgotla* that sought to share, debate, and deliberate on the latest trends, research, and innovative solutions in the field of light metals. The conference was hosted by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
Light Metal Age has made available an online exclusive article reviewing the proceedings of the AMI Light Metals Conference.
Note: Light Metals Technology 2015 will be held July 27-29 in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
*Bushveld Lekgotla: A “bushveld” is a veld of South Africa with abundant shrubs and thorny vegetation. A “lekgotla” is a meeting place.
The ET Foundation, the educational and scientific organization devoted to promoting and advancing aluminum extrusion processes and technologies, and Bonnell Aluminum are seeking entries for the 2015 International Aluminum Extrusion Student Design Competition. Scholarships in the form of cash awards will be presented to the top designs. Bonnell Aluminum will be the sole sponsor for the cash awards, totaling $8,500. This is the first year Bonnell Aluminum is sponsoring the Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition.
The aim of the competition is to promote the understanding and use of extruded aluminum profiles, as well as highlight innovations and recognize excellence in aluminum extrusion design. Students studying design and engineering at universities, colleges, and schools around the world are invited to participate. Entry in the competition is free and judging will take place following the entry deadline.
Entries for the 2015 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition are due no later than Monday, March 30, 2015.
The February 2015 issue of Light Metal Age is now available! The digital edition has been released to subscribers and the print edition will be shipped next week.
The cover features a pot tending machine using the crust breaker during an anode
change at Qatalum.
Feature Articles include:
- Primary Aluminum Industry in the Year 2014 & Primary Aluminum Smelters of the World: Nameplate Capacities and Shutdown Capacities on a Temporary Basis, by Rudolf P. Pawlek, Contributing Editor
- Century Aluminum Expands with Acquisition of U.S. Aluminum Smelters: Making Strategic Changes to Increase Profitability, by Alton Tabereaux, Contributing Editor
- Novelis Opens the World’s Largest Recycling Center in Nachterstedt, Germany: Moving Toward a Circular Economy, by Andrea Svendsen, Managing Editor
- Ideal Aluminum Smelting – Superheat Control and Moving Towards Renewable Energy: Interview with Dr. Martin Iffert, Trimet Aluminium, by Joseph C. Benedyk, Editor
- Arabal 2014: Part I – Global Aluminum Outlook and Downstream Industry Growth in Bahrain, by Andrew Hall, Contributing Editor
- Defects Affecting Extruded Surface – Coring, by Jerome Fourmann, Rio Tinto Alcan
- AluMag Auto Lightweight Procurement Symposium: Aluminum Proves Its Worth in European Automobiles, by Joseph C. Benedyk, Editor
- The Changing Shape of the U.K. Aluminum Industry: Interview with Will Savage, ALFED
- ALUMINIUM 2014 Photo Layout: Record Attendance Reflects Record Industry Growth
- Horizontal Core-Filling Continuous Casting of Copper Clad Aluminum Conductor Materials: Properties and Applications, by Jian-Xin Xie, Xin-Hua Liu, and Hai-You Huang, Key Laboratory for Advanced Materials Processing of Ministry of Education, Institute for Advanced Materials and Technology, University of Science and Technology Beijing, and Beijing Laboratory of Metallic Materials and Processing for Modern Transportation
Editorial departments include four Spotlight articles, including:
- Magnesium Overmold Automotive Components, Leggera Technologies
- Innovation in SPL Transformation – the Industrial Ecology Way: Spent Pot Lining as a Valuable Commodity, by Phil Black, Regain Materials
- New Developments in Anode Baking, by Detlef Maiwald and Domenico Di Lisa, innovatherm
- Double-Chamber Melting Furnace Advantages, Reiter & Crippa
The issue includes the Directory of Aluminum Smelting Equipment Manufacturers & Suppliers and coverage of Primary Aluminum News, Extruder News, and Contracts & Expansions.
If you would like to receive a copy of the February issue, as well as future issues of Light Metal Age, subscribe online today!