The Advanced Metals Initiative (AMI) Light Metals Conference 2014 was held in October 2014 in South Africa, bringing together researchers, government, and industry players for a Bushveld Lekgotla* that sought to share, debate, and deliberate on the latest trends, research, and innovative solutions in the field of light metals. The conference was hosted by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
Light Metal Age has made available an online exclusive article reviewing the proceedings of the AMI Light Metals Conference.
Note: Light Metals Technology 2015 will be held July 27-29 in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
*Bushveld Lekgotla: A “bushveld” is a veld of South Africa with abundant shrubs and thorny vegetation. A “lekgotla” is a meeting place.
The ET Foundation, the educational and scientific organization devoted to promoting and advancing aluminum extrusion processes and technologies, and Bonnell Aluminum are seeking entries for the 2015 International Aluminum Extrusion Student Design Competition. Scholarships in the form of cash awards will be presented to the top designs. Bonnell Aluminum will be the sole sponsor for the cash awards, totaling $8,500. This is the first year Bonnell Aluminum is sponsoring the Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition.
The aim of the competition is to promote the understanding and use of extruded aluminum profiles, as well as highlight innovations and recognize excellence in aluminum extrusion design. Students studying design and engineering at universities, colleges, and schools around the world are invited to participate. Entry in the competition is free and judging will take place following the entry deadline.
Entries for the 2015 Aluminum Extrusion Design Competition are due no later than Monday, March 30, 2015.
The February 2015 issue of Light Metal Age is now available! The digital edition has been released to subscribers and the print edition will be shipped next week.
The cover features a pot tending machine using the crust breaker during an anode
change at Qatalum.
Feature Articles include:
- Primary Aluminum Industry in the Year 2014 & Primary Aluminum Smelters of the World: Nameplate Capacities and Shutdown Capacities on a Temporary Basis, by Rudolf P. Pawlek, Contributing Editor
- Century Aluminum Expands with Acquisition of U.S. Aluminum Smelters: Making Strategic Changes to Increase Profitability, by Alton Tabereaux, Contributing Editor
- Novelis Opens the World’s Largest Recycling Center in Nachterstedt, Germany: Moving Toward a Circular Economy, by Andrea Svendsen, Managing Editor
- Ideal Aluminum Smelting – Superheat Control and Moving Towards Renewable Energy: Interview with Dr. Martin Iffert, Trimet Aluminium, by Joseph C. Benedyk, Editor
- Arabal 2014: Part I – Global Aluminum Outlook and Downstream Industry Growth in Bahrain, by Andrew Hall, Contributing Editor
- Defects Affecting Extruded Surface – Coring, by Jerome Fourmann, Rio Tinto Alcan
- AluMag Auto Lightweight Procurement Symposium: Aluminum Proves Its Worth in European Automobiles, by Joseph C. Benedyk, Editor
- The Changing Shape of the U.K. Aluminum Industry: Interview with Will Savage, ALFED
- ALUMINIUM 2014 Photo Layout: Record Attendance Reflects Record Industry Growth
- Horizontal Core-Filling Continuous Casting of Copper Clad Aluminum Conductor Materials: Properties and Applications, by Jian-Xin Xie, Xin-Hua Liu, and Hai-You Huang, Key Laboratory for Advanced Materials Processing of Ministry of Education, Institute for Advanced Materials and Technology, University of Science and Technology Beijing, and Beijing Laboratory of Metallic Materials and Processing for Modern Transportation
Editorial departments include four Spotlight articles, including:
- Magnesium Overmold Automotive Components, Leggera Technologies
- Innovation in SPL Transformation – the Industrial Ecology Way: Spent Pot Lining as a Valuable Commodity, by Phil Black, Regain Materials
- New Developments in Anode Baking, by Detlef Maiwald and Domenico Di Lisa, innovatherm
- Double-Chamber Melting Furnace Advantages, Reiter & Crippa
The issue includes the Directory of Aluminum Smelting Equipment Manufacturers & Suppliers and coverage of Primary Aluminum News, Extruder News, and Contracts & Expansions.
If you would like to receive a copy of the February issue, as well as future issues of Light Metal Age, subscribe online today!
Every two years, the European Aluminium Awards are given to products or projects in which aluminum has been applied in an innovative manner. Industrial designers, manufactures, importers, architects, builders, and artists can enter the competition in various categories.Judging criteria includes originality and functionality of the use of materials, functionality of the product, design, durability (in relation to lifecycle costs), recycling potential, and representativity and promotional value for aluminum.
The Aluminium Award is an initiative of the national association for aluminum in the Netherlands, Aluminium Centrum. The 2014 edition received important support and recognition by the European Aluminium Association (EAA), the German Aluminium Association (GDA), and ALUMINIUM 2014, the world’s largest trade show and conference in aluminum.
The 2014 European Aluminium Awards honored five award winners and one overall jury prize, as well as five honorable mentions, a young talent prize, and two special prizes.
Philips Lighting BV for Philips OneSpace Luminous Ceiling – Lighting & Interior Category: Philips designed an innovative luminous panel that can cover an entire ceiling
with homogeneous white light. The OneSpace luminous ceiling integrates LED lights placed closely together in a mesh like arrangement combined with textile to create a sound absorbing panel with a signature homogeneous light quality. The result is a smooth and clutter-free ceiling that emits a uniform and glare-free light that recalls the feeling of natural daylight. It can be dimmed, used as safety lighting and also be connected to building management systems enabling centralized control to switch it on or off for greater energy efficiency. “This innovation will redefine how light can be used in architecture and design. Light is now an architectural component – it is no longer an add-on in a space,’’ said Antoon Martens from Philips Lighting. ‘’The ceiling is not often seen as a design element. Now, it is transformed by this minimalistic ultra-thin panel of light into a design statement.’’ Aluminum Supplier: SAPA.
This gallery contains 12 photos.
The ALUMINIUM 2014 trade show and exhibition at the Messe Düsseldorf in Germany, held October 7-9, 2014 was a great success. Bustling with activity, the event set new records in both exhibitor and visitor attendance. A total of 935 companies from 50 nations exhibited, with the share of international exhibitors climbing to 63%. Nearly one […]